This guide will show you how to update iTunes for Windows and make sure you always stay up to date in the future.
The easiest way to make sure iTunes keeps itself up to date is to install iTunes from the Microsoft App Store. That way it’s automatically kept up to date. It’s also the way that Apple suggests you install iTunes in Windows.
Otherwise, you can follow these (slightly older but still accurate) instructions for the non-Microsoft App Store version of iTunes.
- To make iTunes for Windows automatically check for updates, click on Edit then Preferences.
- Click the General tab and check the box next to Check for new software updates automatically then click OK.
- If you don’t set iTunes to check for updates automatically, you can check for them manually. To do that click on Help then Check for Updates
- It will check the update database and let you know if there is an update. In this example there is a new version 10.1.2…click Download iTunes.
- The Apple Software Update window comes up and click on the iTunes + QuickTime update then Install 1 item. You can also install other new software like Safari if you want but it’s not required. Also notice it gives you an overview of what’s included or fixed with the update.
- Accept the License Agreement
- Then wait while the update is downloaded and installed.
- When it’s done you’ll get the following message letting you know the update has been installed successfully.
- It will then go back to the Apple Software Update screen, click Quit to close out of it.
- You’ll need to agree to another iTunes Software License Agreement.
- Then the new version of iTunes will launch and you can begin using it.
- To check which version you have click on Help then About iTunes.
- The a About iTunes screen will come up and the version and other information will scroll up so you can check it out.
Whether you have iTunes check for updates automatically or do it manually, it’s always a good idea to make sure you have the current version for fixes, security patches, and extra features.
1 thought on “How To Make Sure iTunes For Windows is Up To Date”
Thank you so much