The latest version of iOS for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch was released today. Here we’ll take a look at how to update your device so you’re sure to have the latest version.
Here we’re updating an iPod Touch (4th Gen) to iOS 4.3 using iTunes on Windows 7 but the process is the same for whichever device(s) you have.
1. Launch iTunes and plug in your device. Before upgrading to the latest version, a good precaution is to back it up and sync it first. Another precaution you might want to take is make sure your closed out of all applications except for iTunes. Right-click on your device listed in iTunes and click Back Up.
2. Then wait for the process to complete.
3. Once your device has been backed up, select your device in the iTunes menu and then click Update.
4. If you don’t have iTunes set to auto check for updates, you’ll get the following message…click Check.
5. If you didn’t sync your device, you’ll get the following message advising you there are purchased apps on your device that haven’t been sync’d with iTunes. This is why it’s a good idea to backup and sync the device in case something were to go wrong with the update.
6. Now continue with the update.
7. You’ll get information about the latest update, what it adds, and what bugs it fixes. One thing to note is the devices that are compatible with the 4.3 update.
8. Agree to the Software License Agreement…
9. Wait for your device to get the latest update. The amount of time it takes will vary, but on our test it took about 30 minutes.
10. Don’t disconnect the USB cable during the update…you’ll see a series of screens during the process.
11. While the actual update process is installing your device connect and disconnect itself.
12. When the update is done, under Summary you’ll see Software Version 4.3.
13. That’s all there is to it! The process is simple, you just need to be patient while the entire process completes. Now you can enjoy the new updates on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
While there isn’t a whole lot of improvements and features for the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad users will get more functionality. For a full list of what iOS 4.3 includes check out the Apple Website.