This brief tutorial will show you how to extract all of the files packaged inside a Microsoft .theme file. This way you can access all the images used in the theme, without having to use the theme itself (desktop backgrounds etc).
- Microsoft Theme files are actually just .zip files, with the .zip extension renamed to .theme. This tutorial uses 7zip, which is a free utility that lets you open all sorts of files. Head over to the 7zip download page, download and install 7zip. The installation is a breeze – you’ll just download the file, run it, and click “Next” a bunch of times.
Now locate the Theme file you want to open and access the contents of. Right-click the file, select 7-zip from the menu, and then Extract files… from the sub-menu.
- Click OK to extract the files.
- Now you’ll find a folder in the same location as your Theme file. Open the folder up…
- … and you’ll find all the contents of the Theme file. That’s it!
- Note: we have a tutorial on using 7zip to open many types of files.
3 thoughts on “How to Extract the Contents of a Windows Theme File”
Thanks for this great effort. It works 100%. I have now extract all beautiful pictures, I got them all which were hidden in themepacks.
so why don’t u use windows XP instead?
THIS DOES NOT WORK IN WINDOWS 98 SE