This brief tutorial will show you how to change the default WiFi “Network Name” (SSID) and password for your Clear Spot Voyager Hotspot.
Your “default” Wifi Network Name and Password are located on a sticker on the back of your Clear Spot Voyager device. One great reason for changing the defaults is that you’ll be able to actually remember the password when you want to let your friends use your Hotspot, instead of having to hand them the device and read it from the sticker. Also, the sticker will ‘wear out’ with time, and given that the passwords CLEAR generates are
quite secure NOT SECURE – it’s a good idea to change at least the password. Changing the Wifi Network Name (SSID) will also help secure your device, as the password to the web interface is a known default, and if the “wrong” person saw the Network Name (ClearSPOT_xxxx), it would make it easier for them to take over and control your Voyager. So with all of that said, here’s how to change the default settings on your Voyager.
Update: Thanks to commentator Mark Choi for pointing out that the defaults are in fact, not secure at all (for someone who knows the weaknesses of how Clear creates those default settings) – making the importance of changing the defaults that much higher.
- Once you’re connected to your CLEAR service, enter the URL http://192.168.1.1 into your web browser (or click here if you’re connected to CLEAR right now).
- On the left side of the screen you’ll see a Login button. Enter the word admin (all lower case) in the space provided, and then click the Login button.
- Select Wi-Fi Settings from the menu on the left side.
- In the Basic Wi-Fi Settings section you can change your Network Name, Password and more. As you can see in the screenshot below, I changed my Network Name (SSID) to simplehelpdotnet. I also changed the password to something I could remember, but still secure enough (combination of numbers, upper and lower case letters).
Click the Apply button when you’re done making changes.
- Click the Yes button when prompted.
- Finally, click the OK button.
- At this point the changes you just made will be pushed to your CLEAR Spot Voyager, which will restart. Once the device has restarted with the new settings, you’ll have to manually re-connect to the “new” network name, and enter your new password.
- You’re finished!