Have you recently started up your Windows PC and been presented with an “FBI Screen” that just won’t go away? It means you’re infected with the FBI Moneypak Virus/Malware, and following the steps below, you can remove it.
Here are a couple of example screenshots of what the FBI Moneypak malware may look like (there are a number of different “versions”).
Now lets get rid of it.
- Power off your PC. Then, turn it back on again while tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. This will bring you into Windows “Advanced Mode Options Menu”. From here, use the down arrow on your keyboard to navigate to Safe Mode with Networking and then hit enter.
- Windows will start up a bit differently than usual, and you’ll be presented with a Desktop that will say Safe Mode along the borders of your screen.
- Open your favorite Web Browser and then visit the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free download page. Download the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free Edition – if you’re prompted to Run the Application, select Run or Yes. Otherwise, locate the file once the download has completed and double-click it to start the installation.
- The installation process is very straight forward. When you reach the final screen, make sure that both Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are selected. Then click the Finish button.
- At this point Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will launch and start the update procedure by itself. If you’re prompted to restart the program after the update has completed, do so. Otherwise…
- Select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button.
- Select the Drives you wish to scan. You do not need to select your CD/DVD drive if there isn’t a disc in it (nor do you need to select it if there’s a DVD movie or audio CD etc in it). Click Scan to begin.
- Sit back and wait. The length of time it takes to scan your drive(s) depends on a number of factors (drive speed and size, number of files). You might want to make yourself a cup of tea or coffee.
- Once the scan has completed, a little pop-up window will notify you. Click OK.
- Now look at the Objects detected section. There it is. Click the Show Results button.
- While your screen may not look identical to the screenshot below, make sure that every item Malwarebytes detected is selected (ie. has a check-mark in the box next to it).
- Now click the Remove Selected button.
- Watch Malwarebytes do its thing and delete that pesky FBI Moneypak malware/virus.
- Important: Click Yes. Don’t open other programs and wait – reboot right now.
- Your PC will start up again and you’ll be taken directly to your proper desktop, with the FBI nonsense nowhere to be seen. Done!