This quick guide will show you how to change the font that Netflix uses for Subtitles – you can increase or decrease the font size, use a different font entirely and more!
Please note: these changes may not be supported on all of the devices that you can use to stream Netflix videos. For example, any changes you make will not be displayed if you’re using the Netflix App for iOS (iPhone/iPad). If you want to change the Netflix subtitles on your iPhone or iPad, see this guide. Nor were the changes applied to the “Smart TV built-in Netflix App” on my mums television. The changes do work when watching Netflix through web browsers, and the Boxee Box Netflix App that I use to watch Netflix on my television also supported the changes.
Please feel encouraged to leave a comment on this guide letting us know if the changes were successfully displayed on the device/App you use to stream Netflix stuff!
- In a web browser on your computer, tablet or smartphone, visit the Netflix home page (link opens in a new tab/window) and sign in to your account. Move your cursor over your “name” in the upper-right corner until the “Options” menu expands. From that menu, select the Account link.
- Locate the PROFILE & PARENTAL CONTROLS section and then click the profile that you wish to change the subtitles for.
- Click the Change link next to Subtitle appearance
- From here you can change a bunch of the Subtitle font attributes. Click the Font ‘drop-down’ menu itself and review the available fonts.
- You can also change the Shadow of the font, the font and shadow colors, and the font size. There’s a “preview” window that you can use to review how your changes will appear. When you’re happy with your Netflix subtitle settings, click the Save button.
- Now open up a movie or TV show on Netflix, make sure you’ve enabled Subtitles – and ta-da! – there are your new subtitles!
- That’s it! You can always return to the Subtitle appearance section of Netflix to reset them back to the defaults, make other changes etc.