This quick guide will show you how to install the Google Keyboard on your Android based Samsung device, replacing the default “Samsung keyboard”.
It’s worth noting that the steps outlined in this guide are nearly identical for non-Samsung Android devices as well.
- Start out by launching the Google Play Store on your Android phone or tablet or if you’re using your smartphone while viewing this, you can just click here.
- Search for the phrase “google keyboard” – the very first result will be Google Keyboard by Google Inc. Tap that one.
- Install it as you would any other Android App.
- Once the installation has completed, tap the new icon from your Android home-screen or App list.
- You’ll be presented with the ‘getting started’ utility, a process you’ll only need to complete this one time. Tap Get started to begin.
- First, tap the Enable in Settings link.
- Your Settings will automatically open up to the Language and input window. Scroll down to the section titled Keyboards and input methods and swipe the ‘toggle’ next to Google Keyboard to turn it ON.
- Tap OK on the “Attention” window, there is absolutely nothing to worry about when using this keyboard.
- Now tap the Switch input methods link.
- From the Select keyboard list, choose the one titled English (US) Google Keyboard
- That’s it – the setup is complete!
- Open any App that requires the use of the touchpad keyboard and … ta-da! You have now installed the Google keyboard and you’re using the one that Android was supposed to be shipped with.
- If at any point in time you decide you don’t like the Google Keyboard, you can easily revert back by opening your Settings, going to the Language and input section and then switching to the keyboard of your choice.
For more tips and tricks be sure to check out the rest of the guides in our Android category.