You know how when you share your Instagram photos to Twitter they show up as links to an Instagram web page rather than the actual picture? Annoying right? This guide will show you how to have your Instagram photos automatically posted/shared to Twitter as photos, not just a link.
Using the free and fantastic web service Ifttt, you can set up an “Applet” that will automatically post your Instagram photos to Twitter, but instead of just tweeting a link back to Instagram, it takes your IG photo and tweets it properly – as a photo! (see screenshot below). It’s easy and fast to set up, and best of all it’s a “set it and forget it” applet, everything is done automatically for you.
- To get started, head over to the Ifttt home page (link opens in a new tab/window) and click the Sign up button in the upper-right corner. The signup process is quick and painless (and again, this is a free service).
- Now that you have an Ifttt account, enable this Applet by toggling the switch to On
- Ifttt needs permission to access your Instagram and Twitter accounts, so click the Ok button when prompted.
- You’ll be redirected to Instagram to enable access first. If you aren’t already, sign in first and then click the Authorize button.
- Once Instagram has been authorized you’ll be directed to Twitter, where you’ll need to authorize Ifttt. Do so by clicking the Authorize app button.
- Finally you’ll be sent back to the Ifttt Applet page. Confirm that the Applet is now set to On
- That’s it! Seriously, it was that easy. Launch Instagram on your phone, snap a photo, compose your caption and post it exactly as you normally would. This is important – do NOT toggle the ‘share to Twitter’ button on. Leave it off. Ifttt will be doing the magic for you.
- Now head over to Twitter. Ta-da! There’s your Instagram photo, properly shared to Twitter! AND, there’s still a link back to the original IG post, truly the best of both worlds.
- That’s it!