This tutorial will take you step-by-step through the process of setting up your Comcast.net email address in Ubuntu Linux.
Ubuntu comes packaged with Thunderbird Mail as the default email app. Setting it up to work with Comcast is pretty straight forward, so let’s get started!
- Click the DashApplications list, click the Thunderbird Mail item. Note: if Thunderbird isn’t displayed or listed in the Applications list, type the word ‘thunderbird’ into the Search bar and it will appear.
- Thunderbird will go right into the ‘setup wizard’ when it starts for the first time. Ignore everything on this first window and click the Skip this and use my existing email button.
- On the second screen you’ll need to enter your email info. In the Your name field, enter the name you would like to appear in the “From” section of your emails. Typically this would be your full name. Then enter your full @comcast.net email address and password in the spaces provided. Then click the Continue button.
- Thunderbird will work its magic and automatically detect the correct settings for Comcast’s mail servers.
Assuming you don’t want to enter your password each time you check your email, leave the check in the box labelled Remember password. In all likelihood you’ll want to use IMAP instead of POP3 so make sure that one is selected. When you’re all set, click the Done button.
- That’s it! You can now send and receive your Comcast email in Ubuntu.