This guide will take you each step of the way through adding another user to your Windows 10 PC (laptop, tablet etc) – so that they have their own Desktop, Apps etc.
Specifically we’re going to set up an account for an ‘adult’ – someone who doesn’t require parental controls for their overall access to both Windows 10 and the Internet. Some common scenarios would be adding an account for a spouse, partner, roommate or anyone else who shares your computer.
- Click on the Windows 10 “Start” button and select the Settings icon (the ‘cog’).
- Select Accounts from the list of items.
- In the Account column, locate Family & other people and select it.
- Now we’re at the ‘add new user’ section. Click the Plus sign button ( + ) next to Add a family member
- Select Add an adult. Here’s the first place it gets a bit interesting. Ask the person you’re adding the account for if they’d like to use an existing email address as their “user name” or if they would prefer you to create a new email address that they can use as their user name to sign into the Windows 10 device itself. Unless they feel strongly otherwise, our suggestion is to just create a new one for them. It will be an @outlook.com email address that they can either use or completely disregard and only use it to sign into this Windows 10 computer. It doesn’t hurt to have an extra ‘throw away’ email address that you can use when signing up for things that will probably lead to unrequested emails (contests, when required for a purchase etc) so let’s create one for them. Leave the Enter their email address input box empty and then click Next.
- Fill in all of the information requested (it’s all required) and then click Next. If the email address that you’re creating already exists, Windows will let you know and make you select a new one.
- Enter their phone number in space provided – it will only ever be used by Microsoft if you lose your password or there’s a security issue that requires your attention. Click Next to continue.
- Remove the checks from both boxes and click Next
- Almost done! Click the Close button.
- Now you’ll notice another account in the Your family list.
- Test out the account. Save all of your open work, close your open Apps and sign out. To do so, click the Start button, select the “users” button (see screenshot below) and finally Sign out.
- The Windows 10 sign-in screen will appear and now you’ll be able to choose between Accounts. Sign in using the new one to test it out.
- Remind the person you just created the account for that they can change their password by following these instructions. You’re all finished!