This guide will take you through the steps to resolve most of the common problems that cause Google’s Chrome web browser to crash, respond very slowly, or not even start at all.
In a move that made tech support around the world rejoice, Google created an extremely helpful and effective tool that checks for and resolves problems with its browser, Chrome. This tool has drastically helped cut down the time it takes to troubleshoot issues with Chrome. This is the ideal place to start.
- Head over to the Google Chrome Cleanup Tool download page and save the file to your Downloads folder. Once the download has completed, run the file by double-clicking it.
- If you’re prompted by Windows, select Run or Yes (it’ll depend on which version of Windows you’re using).
- There is no installation, the utility will immediately begin doing its thing.
- If you have any programs installed that interfere with Chrome, they’ll be listed here. Click the Remove suspicious programs if it’s there – otherwise click Continue
- Now you’ll be prompted to reset Chrome. This will disable (but not uninstall) any Extensions you may have installed, and set your start page, pinned tabs, new tab and search engine back to their defaults. This will not remove your bookmarks, history or saved passwords, so have no fear. Click the RESET button.
- Once Chrome has reset, you should be able to start to use Chrome normally again. Use it as your normally would and if everything seems to have returned to normal, re-enable your Extensions.