This guide will take you step by step through the process to watch .MKV video files on your Chromebook.
You’re probably here because you’ve discovered that while the default video player for your Chromebook does open .mkv files, it doesn’t always play them properly (missing audio, video or both). We’ve got you covered.
- Head over to the VLC for Android home on the Google Play Store, or search for “vlc” on the Google Play Store – just make sure you select the correct search result – VLC for Android by Videolabs
- Click/tap the INSTALL button.
- Wait patiently as it downloads and installs :)
- Click the OPEN button once the installation has completed.
- You’ll need to go through a brief ‘setup’ – just this once. Click or tap the “next” arrow (see screenshot below) to move to the next screen.
- Select ALLOW when prompted to grant permission to VLC to access your files.
- Once again select the “next” arrow.
- Done! Now let’s play one of your videos. Select the Directories option to navigate to your .mkv files.
- Choose the folder that contains your .mkv file(s)
- Select one of your videos.
- Click/tap the Got it, dismiss this button that’s hovering over your video.
- Ta-da! You can now watch .mkv vids on your Chromebook.