This guide will take you step by step through the process of downloading movies so you can watch Netflix Offline on a Chromebook.
While you may watch Netflix in a browser window most of the time, that won’t work without an Internet connection. If you have a flight, long commute on a train or are going to be somewhere without Internet access, being able to watch Netflix while offline is a great way to kill time. Here’s how to do just that –
- First things first, head over to the Google Play Store and download the Netflix App by clicking the large Install button.
- Once the installation has completed, click the Open button or launch Netflix from your Chromebook ‘shelf’.
- The first time the Netflix App opens it will require you to provide your account sign-in credentials. Enter them in the spaces provided and sign in. Then select the Profile you wish to use (if you have more than one).
- Now just surf around Netflix as you normally would. When you find a movie you want to download so you can watch it offline, select it. Below the movie synopsis look for a Download button. Not all movies and TV shows are available to download, but the majority are. Click the Download button to begin the download.
- A blue ‘timer’ icon will appear next to the Downloads section in the Netflix App.
- If you select the Downloads area from the bottom navigation bar you’ll be able to view a ‘real time’ summary of your current downloads.
- The Notifications area of Chrome OS will also display detailed information about your Netflix downloads.
- You’ll even be notified once the download has completed.
- The movie (or TV show) will now display a ‘check mark’ icon indicating that the file is available to watch offline.
- When you want to watch that movie simply open the Netflix App and navigate to the Downloads section. Now you can watch movies and TV shows from Netflix offline on a Chromebook!
- That’s it!
With Chromebook hard drives being fairly small, you may want to download Netflix movies onto an SD card instead.
2 thoughts on “How to Watch Netflix Offline on a Chromebook”
Is it possible you already have the Netflix app on your device?
When I try to download Netflix on my Chromebook it only gives me the option to add it remotely to other devices, Why?