This very brief tutorial will show you how to open up and view the contents of an .iso file – or burn the .iso to CD/DVD – in Windows 8. The best part – all the software you need is included with Windows 8 itself.
- Open the File Manager, navigate to your .ISO file and select it by clicking on it once.
A new Menu item will appear titled Disc Image Tools. Click it.
- If you want to burn (record) your image file (iso) to a CD or DVD, insert the CD/DVD now and click the Burn button located in the upper-left corner of your File Manager.
- The Windows Disc Image Burner app will launch. Select your CD/DVD burner from the Disc burner: drop-down, place a check in the box labeled Verify after burning if you want Windows to do a ‘confirmation’ after the disc has been burned – and finally, click the Burn button.
- If you simply want to view the contents of an .ISO file, follow the above steps but instead of clicking the Burn button from the Disc Image Tools menu, select Mount.
- After a couple of seconds, File Explorer will display all of the files contained inside the ISO.
- It even automatically assigns a drive letter so the file will behave as a CD/DVD (in the example screenshot below, you can see my .ISO was assigned the E: drive).
- That’s all there is to it!