This brief tutorial will guide you in determining the IP address (including IPv6) and/or MAC address of the ethernet or Wi-Fi adapter for your Mac.
- The fastest and easiest way to find your IP and MAC addresses in macOS is to hold down the option key and click the Wi-Fi icon in your menu bar.
- To view your IPv6 info or the info for your Ethernet card or other adapter, click the Apple button in menu bar and then select System Preferences… from the drop-down list.
- Select Network from the System Preferences panel.
- Choose your adapter from the list in the panel on the left side of the window. It’s IP address will be listed in the Status section. Click the Advanced… button.
- This screen will display your MAC address. Select the TCP/IP tab.
- Again, your IPv4 address will be displayed here – but so will your IPv6 address(es).
- The fastest way to determine your external, public IP address is to visit a site like whatsmyip.org
- That’s it!