This brief tutorial will guide you in turning off some of the (possibly) unnecessary features in Windows Vista.
- To get started, open up your Control Panel. Select Uninstall a program from the Programs section.
- In the left column, select Turn Windows features on or off.
- And now scroll through the features and services. Hover your mouse over each item for a slightly more detailed explanation of that feature.
- To expand a list, select the small + (plus sign) next to it.
- Remove the check mark from any of the items you’re sure you don’t need. In the example below, I’ve removed the check next to Tablet PC Optional Components because I don’t have a Tablet PC, don’t foresee getting one any time soon, and therefore have no need for those services.
- Ditto Windows Meeting Space.
- When you’re done, click OK. And wait for a minute or ten while Windows makes the changes.
- You may be prompted to reboot your PC, depending on the changes you made. It’s probably a good idea to do so now, so click Restart Now. You can always reverse any of the changes you made if you decide you do want to use Windows Meeting Space or some other service.