This guide will take you step by step through setting up uTorrent so that you can connect to it from a remote computer, through a web browser, and control all of your torrents.
Please note: these steps apply to anyone using the Desktop version of uTorrent in Windows (not “uTorrent Web”). If you’re using uTorrent on a Mac or Linux computer you’ll probably have no trouble following along – the steps are nearly identical.
- To start the process of enabling uTorrent to allow connections from remote computers, open it up and select Options and then Preferences…
- From the column on the left side of the window, click the “plus sign” ( + ) next to Advanced to expand that menu. Then select Web UI from that same menu.
- In the Web UI section, place a check in the box next to Enable Web UI in order to turn it on. Then enter a user name and password in the spaces provided in the Authentication section – any username and password will do.
- Now select Connection from the column on the left side of the window.
- Make note of the port number in the Port used for incoming connections: box. You don’t need to change it, just remember it. As illustrated in the screenshot below, the port I’m using is 1234.
- Open a web browser on the same computer that you’re running uTorrent on. In the Address field, enter the following web address:
where “PORT_NUMBER” is the number you made note of in the previous step (#5).
- You’ll be prompted to enter the username and password you set back in step #3.
- Ta-da! There’s uTorrent, but within a browser.
- Now head over to another computer or device with a browser (desktop/laptop, your phone, tablet, web connected TV etc). This time, enter the IP address of the computer running uTorrent in place of 127.0.0.1. If you aren’t sure of the IP address that computer is using, we’ve got you covered. Here’s how to determine your IP address in Windows 10 or earlier versions of Windows.
Once again you’ll be prompted to enter your username and password, and uTorrent will be displayed within that browser window. Click the Add Torrent button from the upper-left corner of the “web based” version of uTorrent.
- Choose a .torrent file to load into uTorrent.
- And now uTorrent will begin downloading to the computer running the uTorrent app – but you can control it from your other device.
- That’s it! Now you can control uTorrent from a remote device!