This step by step guide will show you exactly how to play FLAC and/or OGG files on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
Let’s just get right into it.
- The incredibly popular PC/Mac media player VLC is also available for your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch – and you can use it to play FLAC and OGG audio files. To install it just head over to the Apple App Store on your iOS device and tap the GET button.
- Launch it from whatever Home screen it landed on.
- Select the Audio tab from the row at the bottom of the window.
- Once you’ve transferred some FLAC or OGG files to your iPhon/iPad/iPod, this is where they’ll appear.
- Try sending one to your device now – use whatever method you usually use to copy files to it. I find AirDrop easiest so that’s what I use. If you aren’t sure how to send files to your iOS device, VLC has detailed info on the various ways you can do it with VLC. When you send the file, make sure to select VLC as the App to “open” it.
- Once the file is on your iSO device, it’ll start playing. Tap the Done button in the upper-left corner of the window.
- Now the Audio section of VLC will have a list of the files you’ve copied to your device.
- If you already had some files on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch you can use the Files App to move them into the VLC that now resides inside of the On My iPhone (iPad, iPod…) section.
- You can control VLC the same way you do with other media apps on your device – from the Lock Screen (if you’ve allowed media players permission to access it), the Control Center etc.
- That’s it! You can use VLC to play all kinds of file formats, you’re not limited to just FLAC or OGG.
- If your FLAC or OGG files don’t have the right metadata (artwork, track name etc), we have guides that explain how to add it whether you’re using macOS or Windows.