How to play .flac files in iTunes

This tutorial will guide you in installing all of the required software (and in which order) to get iTunes to play .flac files. This works for iTunes version 7.4.1 and up (and Quicktime 7.2.0) running on OS X.

Update: I’ve added a 2nd, much easier way to accomplish the same thing (playing FLAC files in iTunes. And this method works using iTunes 7.6.2 or higher.

The original (longer) method can be found at the bottom of this post. But the new “updated” method really is much easier and faster.

Updated method to play FLAC files in iTunes

1. Download and install Fluke. Fluke is actually an AppleScript, saved as an Application bundle, that includes all of the software used in the longer method
  2. Select one or more FLAC files, right-click (ctrl-click for single-button mouse folks), choose Open With and select Other….
  3. righ-click flac files and select open with then other

4. Navigate to Fluke, select it and click Open
  5. opening flac files with fluke

6. A window will pop up, some text will fly by, the window will close and you’ll be presented with the option to import the “items” (flac files) into iTunes. Click Yes
  7. confirmation window on importing items to itunes

8. And your FLAC files will be added to iTunes. That’s it – give them a play, set the tags etc. You’re done!
  9. flac files playing in itunes

Longer method to play FLAC files in iTunes

1. Exit out of iTunes and Quicktime if they’re open.
  2. Start by downloading xiph-qt-0.1.8.dmg. Unpack it and drag XiphQT.component to /Library/Components/ if you’d like it to be available to all users on your Mac, or /Users/your-user-name/Library/Components/ if you want it to just be available for you. If you’ve ever installed the Xiph QuickTime Component before, drag it to the trash before copying the new version over.
  3. play flac files in itunes

4. Now download flac_import_0.5b1_p0.1.dmg. Open it up and drag FLACImport.component to /Library/QuickTime/ or /Users/your-user-name/Library/QuickTime/
  5. play flac files in itunes

6. And finally, download set-OggS-0.1.dmg. Unpack it and drag Clear OggS.app and Set OggS.app to your Applications folder.
  7. play flac files in itunes

8. Launch iTunes. You can try loading a .flac file now, but it likely won’t work quite yet. If it doesn’t, drag the flac (or multiple .flac files) and drop them on Set OggS.app. A window will pop up confirming that all of the .flac files have been ‘converted’.
  9. play flac files in itunes

10. Now you should have no problem loading the flac files that have been through Set OggS.app into iTunes. You’ll have to tag them manually (tags aren’t carried over to iTunes) but at least they’re working!
  11. play flac files in itunes

• Anthony September 23, 2007, 7:20 am

I think it’s easier just to convert the .flac files to .wav files with Flac Frontend. They remain lossless and then you can play them on anything you like.

• Anthony September 23, 2007, 9:13 am

Hmm I just realised this is aimed at Mac users and I use FLAC frontend in Windows. Not sure if it works on a Mac. Sorry!

• Thelluf November 11, 2007, 7:52 am

this all works fine for me thanks.

I’ve got a problem playing wireless to airport express/streaming it to my stereo system with Airtunes…

of curse I could use airfoil which I already do with other applications, but is kind a silly to launch it every time a .flac file appear in the play list….

is there any solution to this problem, which also occur when playing url’s

• anonymous December 5, 2007, 6:03 am

Worked like a charm on itunes 7.5

Keep up the good work!

• tarts December 10, 2007, 9:20 am

why I can’t add album art to .flac songs? :/

• gigantore December 11, 2007, 10:43 pm

Are there any known issues with Leopard? I’m going to try this tomorrow night! This rules!

• detritus December 16, 2007, 5:47 pm

Works fine for me … thanks a lot!! Been trying to get this setup for ages… and Itunes read my flac tags fine also :)

• Jeannick March 23, 2008, 3:38 pm

Perfecto! thx a lot. works great!!

• Abbado April 16, 2008, 2:07 am

Works fine!!
    But I don´t know how to add album art to flac songs!!
    Any idea?

• zan April 18, 2008, 2:34 pm

which tag format are you using? Will tracks/tags then carry over to Ipod?

thanks

• Abbado April 20, 2008, 11:33 pm

I don´t know wich is the tag format. I haven´t did anything else with the Flacs, only launch them ehit the set oggs and then to iTunes.
    I only want to play them in iTunes, not for iPod. But I have all my files with art album except the Flac files.
    I have done a “little” one second Mp3 file with the album art and added to the album with the Flacs files. It works but this is not really a great solution because I would like to have each file with each artalbum.
    Any better idea?

• Strorauk April 22, 2008, 8:53 pm

MUCH Appreciated! Thanks for the help.

• Lordhex April 30, 2008, 3:07 pm

Excellent tutorial. It works very well.
    Thank you and keep up the good work. If the tags are: the name of the song, artist, album, date, and all other details you get in iTunes by right-click -> Get Info (Mac OSX) then I have to tell you that all that info got transferred in iTunes just fine from the .flac file(s).

• Abigail May 5, 2008, 12:21 pm

Very clear instructions, and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

• Christopher Martinez May 7, 2008, 1:16 am

I cant get this to work. According to my finder i have no components folder. would it be called anything else.
    I am also using leopard if that makes a difference.

• Ross McKillop May 7, 2008, 1:23 am

@Christopher Martinez:

Try making a components folder. If that doesn’t work let me know and I’ll try it myself again (now that I’m using Leopard).

• Josh May 7, 2008, 3:41 am

I’ve just finished with these instructions. Everything went as described up to, “Now you should have no problem loading the flac files that have been through Set OggS.app into iTunes…”. The files won’t open in iTunes. I had to make both ‘Components’ and ‘QickTime’ folders in the Library folder. The SetOggs window pops up and says what it should, but no go in iTunes. Suggestions? Please?

• almex May 21, 2008, 11:39 am

hey that worked perfectly, thanks a bunch!

• johnnym26 May 21, 2008, 10:15 pm

thank you very much for the tutorial how to get flac playing in iTunes, it was very handy for me

• plangplang May 28, 2008, 12:38 pm

thanks for this excellent tutorial! works very well (OSX 10.5.2, iTunes 7.62)

also no problem with adding cover art, at least via download from apple store… that’s all i tried.

• Jeremy June 3, 2008, 8:27 pm

excellent job, this is a fantastic addition to iTunes play…thank you very much!

• Mike June 4, 2008, 2:04 am

You are great, thanks for your kindness

• Angel June 11, 2008, 10:10 pm

I just found this: FLUKE (http://cubicfruit.com/fluke/)

I think it’s like Perian for iTunes.

• carl June 13, 2008, 1:53 am

I just use xACT when I come across a .flac file. Simple and easy!

• Mark June 16, 2008, 7:16 am

Have downloaded Fluke OK into OSX Tiger, iTunes 7.4.1 Process goes Ok until ‘Yes” to iTunes import which produces an ‘OggS’ box with a failed message. Any ideas? Mark.

• toxik June 18, 2008, 7:37 am

You could also just use a .flac->.mp3 conversion tool.

I mean honestly, why do you even bother with .flacs? The quality gained is probably lost on your equipment anyway.

• chris June 18, 2008, 9:17 pm

hello, can i do this on windows xp?

• Lol June 18, 2008, 11:09 pm

Great stuff Flac makes it soooo easy worked like a dream,thank you very much

• Dost June 22, 2008, 3:39 pm

FLUKE sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. But the server hosting the FLUKE file(s) seems to be down so I am unable to download the software.

Would anyone have a copy of the current version of FLUKE they would be willing to email me? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Jake June 26, 2008, 6:34 am

Works perfect! Thank you very much …

FLUKE makes it very easy to work with .FLACs in iTunes – it is even possible to convert .FLAC files into .WAV or .MP3 within iTunes – with no problems at all!

Wondering why the FLAC format is not included as a standard format within iTunes (yet) – a good player should be able to read the most used formats.

For some time ago I bought the Amadeus sound editing software which reads, converts and saves in a lot of different formats – including FLAC – and that’s not a very bigsized, advanced software at all. So I was a bit stunned over the fact that iTunes didn’t read FLAC files.

– but now it does! Thank a lot.

• JC June 27, 2008, 8:09 pm

Very F’n cool man! Thanks!

• brygator June 28, 2008, 1:15 pm

For some reason they didn’t import when iTunes was open during the conversion. I quit out of iTunes and then it worked great! Album rocks.

• MacMike June 29, 2008, 7:12 am

can i transfer flacs to the iPod’s library?

Personally i use toolplayer, doesn’t have playlist function but plays flacs outright. I also recommend X Lossless Decoder(XLD) for fast decoding and/or splitting a single album flac file into separate track files.

those apps are very cool and easy to use

• MacMike June 29, 2008, 7:14 am

sorry just to clarify those two applications of course are not a solution for playing flacs on the iPod (unless the tracks are converted; but XDecoder allows direct conversion to Apple lossless, mp3 etc

• davey June 29, 2008, 9:43 am

Much easier get a copy of DB POWER AMP. Convert Flac ( or anything else ) to AAC. load to Itunes.

• D July 14, 2008, 4:51 pm

The Ogg window tells me they’re all converted and done, but I can’t find them. Where should I be looking?

• Stian August 1, 2008, 9:11 am

Thanks a lot!

Works like a charm on my OSX 10.5.4 with iTunes 7.7;)

• Andresouto August 1, 2008, 11:48 am

Thanks a lot this was relly helpful

• Paul August 1, 2008, 9:28 pm

I just found a MUCH better way of dealing with FLACs.

Download the free application X Lossless Decoder (XLD) and you can just drag your FLAC’s onto XLD’s icon…and it will quickly convert the file to ALAC (Apple Lossless Codec) so you can play it on your iPod or iPhone as well as your computer!

It also supports cover art!

• P.Smith August 12, 2008, 12:17 pm

hi

thanks for the advice. i’ve successfully imported flac files into itunes but they will not copy onto my ipod.

any further tips?

thanks.

• Christopher Czettel October 10, 2008, 8:32 am

Hi there!

Thanks for the post. But unfortunately playing back flac-files on airport express doesn’t work with this method (mp3s work fine). Or am I missing something?

Thanks anyway,
    regards,

Chris

• yiorgos November 19, 2008, 4:05 am

Fluke looks like it works good. I am playing a .aep reference cd converted to flac.
    BUT
    there is a problem with the album artwork. apparently for some reason the individual files (songs) cannot store album data=photos. don’t know why. tied several times. any ideas?

• yiorgos November 19, 2008, 4:08 am

actually what appears is: Artwork not modifiable..

• yiorgos November 19, 2008, 4:12 am

ok. the last thing i noticed is that NOTHING CAN BE CHANGED ON TAGS IN ITUNES. change the name of song or artist and it comes back to the one that was imported.

• Ross McKillop November 19, 2008, 7:19 am

@yiogos –

Yes that all sounds about right. You’d have to tag the flac files, and then import them into iTunes. Since flacs don’t support album artwork, you can’t embed that.

• yiorgos November 19, 2008, 2:46 pm

i am sure there is more to that. i downloaded flac compilation and although i cannot see the album art on individual songs, i can see it under the cover flow mode. which is weird. also I am sure I read some other post saying that it is possible to embed artwork in flac.. should find the link i guess.

• Alex November 22, 2008, 11:08 am

Hey I wanted to know if you can put these files on your ipod after using Fluke? Thanks.

• Mycelia November 24, 2008, 8:01 am

I use Mac OS X 10.5.5 and iTunes 8.0.1. OggS says it imported all my FLACs ‘okay,’ but I can’t find them in my iTunes library.

To those who wonder if they can read FLACs on an iPod: the answer is no. Fluke installs software to decode FLACs on your Mac, but not on your iPod. You’ll have to convert them into one of the 6 formats officially recognized by Apple (lossy: MP3, AAC and MPEG-4; lossless: Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV) to listen to that music on your iPod.

• Carl November 30, 2008, 5:58 pm

When you try to import the first song, make sure your iTune is shut down, it will allow to install script… I did not work for me the first few times i tried because iTunes was running.

Closed iTune, trid to import and now works like a cherm… Excellent!

• jeff December 5, 2008, 1:05 pm

Didn’t know about fluke thanks for the heads up. For those interested in playing flac on their ipod should check out RockBox.org. I have a 5th gen 30gb ipod and its easy to install and works great. Unfortunatly it only works on a select number of older model ipods.

• m3t4l m1k3 December 16, 2008, 5:01 pm

wow, i can now say itunes is the best audio playback app for mac. thanks!

• Brent December 30, 2008, 12:16 pm

The second image under the original steps is the wrong one — you’re showing the same pic for Steps 2 and 3. The “enlarged” image link is fine, just not the smaller version above.

• Ross McKillop January 1, 2009, 1:19 pm

Brent – thanks for catching that, fixed.

Cheers!

• Chris Simone January 3, 2009, 12:52 pm

Hi Ross,
    I’m having a bit of trouble. I downloaded Fluke and installed as per the instructions. Then I followed the “Updated method to play FLAC files in iTunes”. The files are copied over to itunes. However, no matter which one I select an play I get nothing but some sort of complexed noise. It sounds terrible. Any thoughts? Software: Mac OS X 10.5.3, iTunes 8.0.2. The files are Linn Records, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Mozart Requiem, “Studio Master”, FLAC 24bit 96kHz. http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-mozart-requiem-sacd.aspx
    Thanks, Chris

• Taylor January 4, 2009, 9:23 pm

Dude, great stuff. Thanks so much for posting. Fluke is the shizzle.

• Whitney January 27, 2009, 11:14 am

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

• Lance January 27, 2009, 7:34 pm

In iTunes if I change the title to the album it changes, but once the song is played it reverts back to the prior title? Can you help?

Thank you very much for your software!!!!!

• flix February 4, 2009, 8:33 am

neither will work for 24 bit FLAC files. the xiph-qt component gets something wrong and the audio is shredded.

• usono February 6, 2009, 12:45 am

Impossible d’importer mes fichiers FLAC dans iTunes…. Quelqu’un pourrait-il m’aider ? J’ai la dernière version d’iTunes et j’ai correctement installé Fluke.

Merci d’avance pour votre aide

• René February 23, 2009, 1:43 pm

Gewoon even Apple Lossless versie aanmaken van je ‘fluked flacs’ in Itunes en vervolgens kun je:

1. Gewoon album art toevoegen
    2. Gewoon afspelen op je Ipod

René

• René February 23, 2009, 1:45 pm

When your create a Apple Lossless version of your ‘fluked flac’, you will be able to add artwork and play it on your ipod keeping the lossless compression.

René

• Peter March 1, 2009, 11:16 pm

Did not work. Fluke works and then iTunes pops up, but nothing is added…

• Doug March 19, 2009, 1:34 pm

Thanks for making the Fluke file available. Seemed like I had to look forever to find info on how to convert flac files to AIFF files (downloaded 2 albums from Mindawn.com), but the installation & use of Fluke appears to be a better option. The only problem I had was that the graphic you used in Step 3 (Applications) did not show up the same on my Mac (OS X Version 10.4.11), so I had to figure that out first (still kind of new to Macs). Thanks again for the headache relief. ;-)

• Kill April 3, 2009, 1:35 am

Did work on itunes 8

• JamesIsIn April 4, 2009, 1:58 pm

I have used the slow method to put these components in place on my Mac (10.4). However, my end goal is slightly different.

I have all of my music as flacs stored on an Ubuntu machine running RhythmBox. RhythmBox provides a DAAP share just like iTunes. I am able to connect to that share and play an mp3 or wave file as expected.

After following the directions, I hoped that iTunes would be able to play the flacs as well (it has always displayed them). It fails to play anything nor does the progress bar move across the song.

It is (obviously) not feasible to run the ogg application on the flacs.

Can you offer any further advice or links or whatever? This is one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

• Mike April 9, 2009, 2:05 pm

REMEMBER TO SHUTDOWN ITUNES FIRST BEFORE ADDING TRACKS. won’t work otherwise.

• Mikkel April 9, 2009, 3:37 pm

Works good for itunes 8.2 as well. Thanks a lot!

• ewokultra April 17, 2009, 9:23 am

nice – works great – urawesome

• Lina April 19, 2009, 12:34 pm

I love you! thanks a lot :) not afraid of flacs anymore now :)

• arjun April 22, 2009, 9:09 am

Is there a fluke version for Windows? Please help. Thank you. =)

• jer April 27, 2009, 9:04 am

YES!!! thank you!

• Ritwik Banerjee May 21, 2009, 1:03 pm

Hi,

All this is very nice, but Fluke means I can’t do this on Windows. Is there a way I can make iTunes play .flac files in Windows?

• rainah May 21, 2009, 3:24 pm

same with what the person say above

• Kevin Edwards May 24, 2009, 2:43 pm

For those wondering, Apple will most likely never include support FLAC or other open formats themselves. The reason for this is that they’d open themselves up to numerous patent lawsuits as the target with the most $$$. Instead, they can develop their own, or license others and get better legal protection. They’ll also continue to allow plug-ins as a way of partially making up for this…since they don’t hate these formats, they just don’t want the legal risk.

Apple does have a lossless codec that FLAC files can be losslessly transcoded into. When this is done, you can then play them in iTunes, as well as your iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, etc…

A FREE and very handy tool for transcoding audio files is Max:

• beth May 26, 2009, 3:37 pm

worked great once i remembered to quit iTunes. i did, however, get pretty annoyed when it imported the album in alphabetical, not sequential, order. and since iTunes won’t allow you to move songs around without making a playlist (again, annoying) do you have a suggestion on how to “fix” this ? thanks!

• dave May 30, 2009, 1:33 pm

Didn’t work for me. I’m on Leopard 10.5.7 and iTunes 8.1.1. : (

• Pete May 31, 2009, 12:24 pm

Didn’t work for me on lastest OSX & itunes. It says its imported but the tracks jsut aren’t there in itunes

• Craig June 9, 2009, 12:03 pm

Try a program called xACT

• chajoe June 11, 2009, 8:04 am

On a mac… drop all the flac tracks with TOAST in audio mode… save disk image on the same folder as the album. Then right click the disk image file and select the option MORE and from the submenu MOUNT IT.
    Itunes will open and recognize the file as an album… that way you can listen to it in a CD kinda like experience or import them to mp3…
    cheers

• Jason July 8, 2009, 6:37 am

Tried all of the steps in the longer version, and everything worked OK, but my flac files still won’t drag/drop to iTunes (using 7.5). I’ve tried to open/close it, then drag/drop again. I’ve tried to open iTunes by right-clicking the flac files and selection the program. Within iTunes, I’ve tried importing the files. Nothing. Can’t drag/drop anything from Set OggS (0.1), so I’m stumped. Please advise. Thanks!

• ShrekUnderTheMistletoe July 18, 2009, 8:14 pm

Apparently the updated method works fine, I´m using Leopard & iTunes 8.2, but strange things happen when I add album art to the files, sometimes the pictures remain but sometimes they “dissappear”. Any suggestions?

• Derf July 23, 2009, 6:01 pm

I’m sure someone has asked this already but I use itunes on windows XP professional and was wondering how I could get it to play flac files

• Derf July 23, 2009, 6:03 pm

I’m sure someone has asked this already but I use itunes on windows XP professional. Is there a way of playing flac files with itunes run on windows xp?

• Ben Lich August 4, 2009, 7:20 am

Fluke works great transfering flac to itunes but they only play on the cumputer speakers. Streaming to Airport Express does NOT work for any of the files added to the itunes lib thru fluke…. Any ideas?

• iZombie August 4, 2009, 7:51 pm

I appreciate the help, although you forgot the most important step in the “short method” directions…. which is of course, the first step:

1.Exit out of iTunes and Quicktime if they’re open.

just spent 15 frustrated minutes before i figured that one out:)
    Of course, that could be because apple has turned me into an iZombie!
    (or I’m just a dumb-ass)

• tigrepalenque August 15, 2009, 5:26 am

I tried using Fluke the short method you mention, but after the “do you want to import to itunes” window, the files never appeared in itunes. Why? What else do you suggest?

• ks October 5, 2009, 8:07 pm

Has anyone had success with fluke in iTunes 9.0.1 and Snow Leopard 10.6.1?
    (I haven’t, and I’m wondering if it’s a version conflict or operator error…)

• Anthony October 7, 2009, 1:44 am

A quick question before i start using on of these methods: will i also be able to import art work on the files in iTunes? Heard that FLAC files don’t allow this; which would be a bummer…
    Thanks!

• Flavio October 9, 2009, 9:36 pm

It’s just ridicolous that you have to use arcane trciks like this just to play a FLAC.

• coachy November 9, 2009, 1:32 am

Don’t forget to shutdown iTunes first. Works great once you figure that out.

• Liam November 9, 2009, 10:53 am

Nope, doesn’t work it all (the first method) with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and the new itunes….

• Mbinku November 10, 2009, 5:26 am

very nice man- and yes, remember to quite any related programs!

• Lee Katz November 14, 2009, 5:24 pm

Used Flac to Fluke to iTunes simple method.
    iTunes 9.01, OS 10.5.8
    Files came into iTunes as .mov files.
    Play in iTunes but do not transfer to my iPod.
    Any ideas how to get them to the iPod?

• oscar November 28, 2009, 1:56 pm

oh my god! it actually works!
    now lets see if it works on my iPod…

• Santiago November 29, 2009, 9:17 pm

To play them on your iPod convert the files to Apple Lossless (Go to Advanced settings and select the Import Settings and the quality instead of AAC to Apple Lossless), and then convert your selected songs to Apple Lossless and presto!

• maboud December 6, 2009, 1:17 am

Great work! I kept second guessing myself because of how easy it was. Thanks very much!

• oscar December 12, 2009, 12:41 pm

does anyone know if theres any way of playing flacs in Windows XP?
    thanks ;)

• Jon M December 18, 2009, 5:25 pm

Many thanks! Works perfectly but the FLAC tracks are at SILLY volumes for some reason…

Have I done something wrong?

Best,

Jon

• Danny December 20, 2009, 2:24 pm

can you sync FLAC files to ur ipod

• Hermann Krog December 20, 2009, 4:52 pm

It worked well; but I wasn´t able to play the songs with loudspeakers connected via airtunes and apple TV. The songs played only on the computer (iMac).
    Is there any idea to solve that issue?
    regards
    hermann

• Ben Linford December 30, 2009, 5:21 am

Thanks for this.
    I cannot bear to play my FLAC audio files on VLC any longer!

• john vinte March 21, 2010, 9:48 am

many thanks, life saver

• david April 4, 2010, 8:39 am

When I choose open, step 4 never happens. I have a newer intel based 10.6 macbook…
    any suggestions?

• Arturo Rosales April 5, 2010, 7:48 pm

Would this work for a PC

• Ben R. April 14, 2010, 10:32 am

New link to Fluke 0.2 beta: http://blowintopieces.com/fluke/

• jenny April 24, 2010, 3:41 am

bless your heart. :D :D :D

• fara ochelari May 12, 2010, 3:32 pm

Wow…now I can play my .flac files. Thank you!

• reuben8 June 16, 2010, 8:09 pm

nice one man :)

• tk June 29, 2010, 9:28 am

awsome thank you so much worked like a charm

• Jason Greenwald July 26, 2010, 3:04 am

Thanks man, this article has been a blessing….May God Bless the author of this article! Amen!

• Micah July 26, 2010, 8:51 pm

what about windows……??

• Trevor Doge July 31, 2010, 12:02 pm

this is confusing for PC users :S

• Lance August 29, 2010, 6:22 am

Use the long method if you run Tiger. Fluke (now available at a new URL: http://code.google.com/p/flukeformac/downloads/detail?name=Fluke_0.2.5b.zip ) is for OS 10.5 and later. Warns that it doesn’t work with iPod or to burn CDs. Yikes! Not for me, then.

• Lance August 29, 2010, 6:25 am

We are simply chasing the Flac shadow, anyway. What’s all this about “without sacrificing quality”? Can you hear a dog whistle? You can’t hear any difference between a Flac and an AAC 320 file. This “sacrifice of quality” is all academic.

• Kris September 3, 2010, 10:52 am

You Rock!

• Viggerz October 1, 2010, 12:59 pm

Ibid. u rock! thanks v.much

• edgar November 8, 2010, 12:09 pm

thanx a lot!

• ethan November 15, 2010, 11:07 am

this method does not work for me. the link for fluke on this website isn’t working, so i found it on the web, but i mean everything goes like you said, it says it installs it in itunes, but it’s just not there…

• artvoid November 20, 2010, 10:03 am
  • bill wiley November 24, 2010, 6:22 pm

Hey this works well with itunes 10 on my i7 imac. I also use Cog to play my flac files. http://cogx.org/download.php. its a very simple yet reliable player

• Venkatesh November 28, 2010, 8:18 am

I downloaded and installed this fluke every thing well, till the last step but i couldn’t find the final files either in my itunes or in my lap….
    What is dat?????
    iam Using intel based mac 10.5
    with itunes 10

• liana December 1, 2010, 8:11 am

downloaded fluke finally, and it asks if i want to import into iTunes, i click YES – and i still can’t find them in itunes. ?

• Jean Pierre December 1, 2010, 9:06 am

Short method witht Fluke work fine on main computer. Does not work on second computer via network using iTunes share ! What can I do ?

• jim January 20, 2011, 5:08 pm

Awesome! Thanks a million!

• Esteban January 23, 2011, 9:20 pm

For those who couldn’t find their files anywhere, you should try quitting iTunes. When you reopen it, you will for sure find them! Thanks for this app!

• McPit February 12, 2011, 7:18 am

Drop .flac files onto setOggs:
    … failed(?!)
    … failed(?!)
    … failed(?!)

• Amidek February 12, 2011, 10:38 pm

After importing, i can’t find the files. I quit iTunes and restarted, still can’t find the files. Any ideas?

• b March 3, 2011, 1:42 pm

thanks, very helpful

• ashley April 11, 2011, 11:34 pm

thank you! i love you.

• Mariana June 1, 2011, 12:44 pm

Thanks :)

• Pete June 6, 2011, 2:01 am

Use Songbird ;)

• Pete June 6, 2011, 2:04 am

This Software never works for me – followed instructions – using osx leopard latest – error

• aimee July 24, 2011, 3:40 pm

you just made my music library much more useful! many thanks

• misa July 30, 2011, 9:05 am

help- anybody?
    I get a Fluke Error
    ITunesReferenceError: Supplied argument is not a valid ITunes track- gives me an option to terminate or open console, when I open console…last message exited with exit code 255
    what?

• Courtney August 3, 2011, 9:12 pm

Such a great tool – many thanks!!!

• Alin August 14, 2011, 11:00 am

Thank you for your post! Fluke helps me a lot !

• Dekrit November 10, 2011, 9:56 am

The Fluke download link here is no longer working. It’s moved to google code here:

• liz November 12, 2011, 11:32 pm

thanks that was so easy!

• Dan November 24, 2011, 3:31 am

After the latest iTunes update Fluke seems to have stopped working altogether.

• Barney December 9, 2011, 4:30 pm

perfect! really handy — thanks! — using a mac! :)

• Gina December 18, 2011, 12:47 pm

It wooorked! Thank you so much!

• Kilroy January 9, 2012, 9:41 am

We´ll if someones intrested in .flac files, i persume they are in one or another way linked to making/mixing/whatever music. So open your .flac file in a sequencer, render it to a .wav file and drag it to iTunes. Simple as that !

• red January 31, 2012, 4:21 pm

THANK YOU!

• Dave Desmond March 24, 2012, 3:21 pm

Amazing! This is the best thing ever! I’ve been bouncing flac files to mp3 until now. This makes so much more sense. Thanks!

• Janna April 16, 2012, 9:58 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST AND TUTORIAL! ! ! GOD BLESS!

• Jordan May 22, 2012, 5:13 am

Hi,

I get this error message when importing file to iTunes:
    “Python quit unexpectedly”

Do you have any clue why that happens?

Thanks!

Jordan

• AnaG June 10, 2012, 9:55 pm

Thanks that’s great!

• Isa June 21, 2012, 5:14 pm

hi! i just tried to install fluke several times.. it worked fine but when i get to stage 4, instead of gettng the window you are referring to i get an error message :

_____________________________
    Fluke Error
    An unexpected error has occured during execution of the main script

IndexError: list index out of range
    _____________________________
    I have a Mac OS X version 10.7.2 running Lion.

what should i do? …. thanks !!

• Rosti June 23, 2012, 8:55 am

I’d love if you’d give us a version of that for PC as well ^-^

• Emily Henry September 12, 2012, 2:16 am

In order to import FLAC to iTunes, we will need to convert FLAC to Apple friendly audio formats.

If you care the quality of the output audio, converting FLAC to Apple Lossless audio is recommended.

If you do not care about the quality of the music, you can convert FLAC
    to MP3, a versatile audio format across system and devices then import
    the converted FLAC files to iTunes.

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Import and Add FLAC to iTunes on Windows and on Mac?

You will find a step by step guide

• shhhhit September 12, 2012, 4:59 pm

So I installed Fluke, read that it doesn’t work with my iTunes edition, tried to uninstall and the uninstall application is ignoring my password, any thoughts?

• A. Brooke September 26, 2012, 2:24 pm

I just did this, and I was thrilled, it worked fantastically! I had dowloaded 3 albums that were FLAC, and there were literally no other versions of those albums in existence of the internet world. I luckily stumbled upon this as a last resort, and it was a breeze to convert! THANK YOU!!!!!

• macintoshacker December 16, 2012, 4:08 am

does not work for itunes 11.0.1 and mountain lion

• em December 24, 2012, 12:55 pm

I can’t find a download for fluke that will work on windows, could someone send me a link?

• Ugh December 28, 2012, 10:26 pm

What if you don’t have a Mac, genius?

• doe January 4, 2013, 8:39 pm

What a stupid system Mac is. Can not play FLAC file format.

• Anonymous January 28, 2013, 3:29 am

Thanks! This is rally much easier than the for me not working longer way.

• Anonymous January 28, 2013, 6:06 am

This doesn’t work for iTunes 11.0.1 (yet…?) Hopefully this will be fixed

• Momo McGillicuddy February 10, 2013, 2:56 pm

Fluke didn’t work. I finally remembered: I own a copy of Adobe Audition. /doh

• ydk2 February 13, 2013, 10:42 am

I have 10.7.5 and work fine but you need start iTunes in 32bit mode

• drewdigital February 26, 2013, 7:15 pm

(*shurgs) Plays perfectly on my MAC in my itunes!

• Jonathan February 28, 2013, 2:12 pm

Isa

Same thing occurred for me. If you close Itunes before trying to convert the .flac-file it should work.

Good luck!

• newperterblack March 14, 2013, 2:57 am

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Import FLAC to iTunes, you will find a simple solution

• Tello March 20, 2013, 1:37 am

Go to applications -> get info -> open in 32 bit. Close iTunes and open flac files in Fluke. Worked for me

• T July 10, 2013, 12:47 am

AWESOME! without Tello’s comments I would have given up

• HK December 10, 2013, 1:54 pm

I tried several times, It does not support in Itunes, when I click open the fluke disappear and opening with itunes but no response
    then I changed itunes to 32b but then Itunes not work , i got message that i i should turn on settings as Itunes only work with 64 bit and change setings.

SO this failed. I downloaded Winap, cant play air play and mac version not work well in mac, so covertion from FA file, it not working.

Perhaps new versions of Apple done this, but I think there should be ways

• pete December 24, 2013, 10:43 pm

works like a charm! Thanks for the help!

• Titanium Cranium February 4, 2014, 2:06 pm

Tried the 32bit trick and still no success. Python error.

• pdeatteirl April 25, 2014, 10:45 am

I encountered the similar issue with HK. I just get iTunes work with 64-bit.

I have to turn to Google, and found Faasoft. It supports importing FLAC to iTunes.

• black hadland May 22, 2014, 3:44 am

i use iDealshare VideoGo to convert FLAC and APE to iTunes supported Apple Lossless, MP3, AIFF, M4A, AAC and etc

• rachelgreenhappy July 20, 2014, 10:26 pm

Another way is convert WMA, OGG, FLAC to iTunes more supported audio format.

I use a software called iDealshare VideoGo which can convert iTunes
    unsupported WMA, OGG, FLAC, APE, 3GA, etc to iTunes supported MP3, Apple
    Lossless, AAC, AIFF and etc

Just google search How to Use iDealshare VideoGo to Convert FLAC to iTunes, you will find a detailed guide.

• notebooked May 22, 2016, 12:36 am

If you Want to batch convert FLAC audio files to iTunes compatible MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, etc ,we suggest you should choose Avdshare Audio Converter – the best FLAC to iTunes Converter for Mac and Windows