How To Connect A Wii Remote To Your PC

Nintendo’s Wii controller is an interesting piece of technology. One of the great things about it is that it connects with Bluetooth. Which, lucky for you, means you can connect it to any computer that has bluetooth! Even if your computer didn’t come with bluetooth connectivity, relatively inexpensive adapters can be purchased online or at your local computer shop.

So, for this post I’m going to show you how to use a Wiimote for playing NES games. There is much more that you can do with the Wiimote, but I just think this is a perfect (and simple) use for it. So lets get started!

First, you need to get your wiimote into discovery mode. You do this by pressing the 1 and 2 buttons. The blue lights at the bottom of the wiimote should be flashing. You may have to keep pressing these buttons until the wiimote connects with your PC. Now, on your PC, right click your bluetooth icon and click Show Bluetooth Devices. If there is no bluetooth icon in your task bar, go to your control panel and double click Bluetooth Devices. Click Add when the window (shown below) pops up.

In the window that comes up, check My device is set up and ready to be found and click Next. While it’s searching, make sure your wiimote’s lights are still blinking! It should find the select the wiimote after it’s found and click Next. Now select Don’t use a passkey and click Next (but make sure the lights are still flashing!) Click Finish when it’s done.

We’re already almost done! Now all you need is GlovePIE, a program that will let you actually use your wiimote! You can download it here. Just extract the contents of the zip into a new folder and run GlovePIE.

It may look intimidating but it’s actually really simple. Just go to File and Open and navigate to the WiimoteScripts (which was included in the zip), look for NESController.pie. Click Run and your wiimote should be able to control NES Emulators! I tested it with the default settings in VirtuaNES and it worked great!

GlovePIE comes with may more scripts for you to try out, so have fun with it! It’s only a matter of time before we have some games on the PC to play with the Wiimote, but in the meantime, enjoy all of the things GlovePIE already allows you to do!

• John February 18, 2009, 9:20 pm

I cant, keeps flashing all 4 lights and doesnt stop until I remove the device

• wargamer February 27, 2009, 12:11 pm

I’m with John. I was able to get it working on my mac, but when i try on windows via bootcamp, all 4 lights keep flashing. I try to load a script but it does nothing. Any help?

• kurtis March 3, 2009, 1:34 pm

Same here!

I need help please!

• chuck March 18, 2009, 2:41 pm

I have the same issue. I rebuilt old laptop with windows XP and installed SP2, I have installed DirectX 9.0b and IE7 and .NET framwork 2.0 and applied theNETfx20SP1 (that required the MSIinstaller for 3.1 which even had its own patch! Sheesh!) I have followed the instructions on Wiki re BLUESOLEIL installing with all the reboots inbetween. I have ran the IVT hardware checker to make sure BLUESOLEIL will work and it does( I have tested a mobile phone and no probs!) But when connecting the WIIREMOTE it shows up in bluesoleil but only one way communication… all 4 lights remain flashing on the WIIRemote.

• Maxwiggan May 20, 2009, 1:52 pm

Same issues as above
    4 lights flashing
    connected one way to wii remote via blue soleil 6
    no motion sense no button response
    ran mouse scripts in glove pie no response
    no connection in WiinRemote

• hiya man June 19, 2009, 7:11 am

iv got the same problim if anyone has the way to do it using BLUESOLEIL plz email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tom June 19, 2009, 10:04 am

I had it working for a little while with NEStopia and VBA but then nothing.

• Bullfrogberry August 21, 2009, 1:42 pm

Same same. anyone figure out the problem? could it be vista? or maybe the bluetooth adaptor?
    all 4 blue lights blink. pc says it is conected. I got the A and B buttons to work once using a scriped but that was it and I cant do it again….
    any help would be great.
    django.hitman@gmail.com

• niels October 24, 2009, 5:04 am

i cant open find the NESController.pie file

• Tom Counsell November 27, 2009, 9:57 am

same problem. computer isn’t detecting any of the buttons I press on the Wiimote.

• Milad February 24, 2010, 4:45 am

So thanks.
    how can i use it in my game.for example i created a FPS game with unity3d engine.now i want use it in my game or engine how can i do it?

so thanks

• \/\/ombat March 21, 2010, 12:45 pm

I have had it working a few times, Only thing is you must follow the instructions to get it connected to the letter and then start the script on GlovePIE before it disconnects. It’ll then work for a couple of hours before the batteries die. If I disconnect the remote at any point (by pressing the power button on the wiimote) I then have to start again by removing the wiimote in bluetooth devices and adding it again. This is no fun after the first few times but I haven’t found any way around it. I’m using XP with the Windows stack now but am looking into Bluesoleil as we speak. I also use a Gigabyte bluetooth dongle but may try alternatives. So it worked but there are issues.

• Steph June 8, 2010, 3:56 pm

same issue with windows stack in windows 7 :-( Had it connected a few times, but now just keeps flashing and flashing..

• John August 21, 2010, 5:13 pm

try pressing the red button in the battery compartment when you connect it.

• TURKiSO December 29, 2010, 5:04 pm

guys you have to try out whit , bluetooth stack toshiba this one works fine.

• hahahahah January 7, 2011, 11:22 am

Where do you download that program from?

• Famf January 7, 2011, 3:16 pm

It’s been moving around and changing a lot. You can get it here: http://glovepie.org/glovepie_download.php

• nits June 23, 2011, 9:14 pm

how do u get it to control all mine does is flash then it connects then it installs it but no control wat – so – ever

• snake October 9, 2011, 1:06 am

i use trendnet tbw-105bu as bluetooth to usb on my computer (xp, sp2); with original drivers, didn’t work; with drivers from trendnet (new ones for my adapter) and glovepie 0.43 Emotiv where is GlovePie_Bird_5DT.exe and in wiimote section I used first script, everything works great: leds 1-4, 2-3 and finaly only 1 light on my black wiimote plus – good job was done by GlovePie creator!!!!!!!!!
    excuse my bad english – isn’t my mother in tongue

• Gabriel March 25, 2013, 2:24 pm

i have the same problem!!

• KYYYLE January 3, 2014, 6:16 am

i have a windows 8 with a bluetooth adapter installed, but when it finds my wii mote, it asks for a password thats supposedly on the device

• gosaints70 January 14, 2014, 9:04 pm

just click next and it will work :)

• Brian September 7, 2014, 3:16 pm

my bluetooth connects and detects the wiimote – then the control turns off and does not function. It is not the “-TR”, help please! I’ve tried changing bluetooth stacks, basically, it goes through the whole sync process, but as soon as it syncs, the controller turns off, and Windows 7 makes the usb disconnected sound.

• NoNamer December 20, 2014, 9:53 pm

is there some kind of alternative for mac

• L January 26, 2015, 10:14 am

does this also work with “fake” Wiimotes e.g. the one from DBpower?