If you use Windows 7 Media Center and suddenly find that Netflix and Internet TV is missing from the main menu, it can be quite annoying. Here are some fixes that should help you get these options back.
1. If you uninstall a TV Tuner Card or install an unstable Add-on, it sometimes makes Windows Media Center unstable or you’ll suddenly find your Netflix and Internet TV options are missing. In this example we had Netflix & Internet TV installed and working successfully, but after removing the TV Tuner Card and swapping out the Video Card the options disappeared.
2. If this happens to you, one of the easier fixes is to launch Media Center and go to Tasks >> Settings >> General >> then Automatic Download Options.
3. Now in the Automatic Download Options screen click on Download Now.
4. A message will appear in the lower left hand corner of the screen…click OK.
5. While the updates are downloading, you’ll see a small Media Center download icon in the Notification Area on the Taskbar.
6. The amount of time it takes will vary depending on your connection speed. When it completes click OK and restart Media Center.
7. If everything works correctly you should see your Netflix and Internet TV options back in the main menu.
8. If that doesn’t work you can use some Command Line magic to get everything back. Click on the Start Menu >> All Programs >> Accessories…then right-click on the Run icon and click Run as Administrator (You may need to enter in the admin password).
9. Now enter in the following commands at the prompt…Again you’ll see the download icon in the Taskbar and the amount of time for it to update will vary. Make sure to wait for the process to complete…and you’ll get another Command Prompt then type Exit.
cd /d %WINDIR%\ehome
start /wait mcupdate –uf
10. This is the method that worked best on our Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system. Netflix and Internet TV were both restored successfully.
If neither of these methods work, you may want to check the types of 3rd party add-ons you might have installed, try uninstalling them and see if you can get it back. If you’re a fan of Windows 7 Media Center hopefully these tips will work for you. If you’ve ran into the same problem and have found other fixes, leave a comment and let us know!
11 thoughts on “How to Get Netflix & Internet TV Back in Windows 7 Media Center if They’re Missing”
this is what FINALLY worked for me…
Exit Windows Media Center.
Open an administrator command prompt. To do this, click Start
, click All Programs, clickAccessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Type each of the following commands at the command prompt, and then press ENTER after each command:
schtasks /delete /tn “microsoftwindowsmedia centermcupdate” /f
cd /d %WINDIR%ehome
start /wait mcupdate -u
Type exit, and then press ENTER to exit the Command Prompt window.
Wow it really work thank
Been working on this for a while as well. Thanks for the information. Command Prompt worked like a charm.
This fix works perfectly. Thank you for the assistance!!!!!
thanks a lot, it was difficult for me, but this worked well
The first option worked great. Good to know some people are out here on the internet to help people fix simple problems.
I have been working on this for 3 hours. Finally after using command prompt it works…Thank you….You rock!!
Command line worked for me as well. Issue was a freshly built Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system with SP1 – no tuner / Just wanted Netflix. But it would not show up no matter what. This fixed it for me.
You my friend,..are the man!!! Hours of searching…yours…fixed in 10 secs lol…..
I the past I’ve tried to automatic downloads in media center. I didn’t work. The first time I used the command prompt it worked. Thank You. I have been trying to get Netflix back in media center for about 2 months. Your method with command prompt works. Thank You.
After contacting Microsoft, Netflix as well as HP support without success, I was pleased to come across the above fix. Worked like a charm. Appreciated this especially after each support tech tried to talk me into signing up for paid support. Thanks