This brief tutorial will show you how step by step how to install .apk files directly from your Android device.
When you install Apps from the Android Market, they’re packaged as .apk files. You may run across an App you want to install on your Android phone, but the only way is to download the .apk file from the developer or software site. This guide will show you how to intall that .apk file.
- Start out by transferring the .apk file to your Android Phone. The easiest way to do so is to use Awesome Drop – which we have a detailed tutorial on how to use. It will only take a few minutes to setup and use Awesome Drop to transfer the .apk file to your phone – and you’ll also have a system in place to easily upload files to your Android phone in the future.
- Navigate to the Settings option on your phone.
- Select Applications from the Settings list.
- Place a check in the box labeled Unknown sources. This will allow you to install Apps that didn’t come directly from the Android Market.
- Now use Awesome Drop to upload the .apk file. Once it has been transfered, tap it from the Awesome Drop interface.
- Now you’ll be prompted to install the App in a very similar manner as Apps from the Marketplace. Tap Install to continue.
- The App will install.
- Now your app is ready to use. That’s it!
2 thoughts on “How to Install .APK Files on Your Android Device”
OMG, I am new to Android phones, used to have the spoiled iphone, and when you are new to a platform, there is always a learning curve.
Thank you for this Ross, appreciate it a bunch!
Thanks you for the tutorial, this is very useful for me..