This guide shows you how to add support for Skype to the popular Instant Messaging App “Pidgin” so you can keep all of your chat sessions in one place.
- If you don’t have it installed already, download and install the Pidgin IM client. Installation is easy, just accept the default settings etc. One thing to pay attention to when installing Pidgin – if you want spellcheck included make sure to select your language under Spellchecking Support on the Choose Components screen.
- You’ll need to install Skype if you don’t have it installed on your PC already.
- Pidgin is great because it supports a lot of different IM services, just not Skype…
- To add Skype to Pidgin, first make sure you’re closed out of it, then install the Skype API Plugin for Pidgin by Eion Robb. After you’ve downloaded the file, double-click it to start the installation. Click Next to begin.
- Click the I Agree button on the License Agreement screen.
- That’s it! The installation is done, even if it seemed like nothing happened. Make sure that Run Pidgin is checked, and then click the Finish button.
- For this plugin to work, you need to have Skype running at the same time – so make sure it’s open and connected.
- After you have everything installed and Skype is up and running (of course it can be minimized etc), open Pidgin, click Accounts, then Manage Accounts. In the screen that comes up click the Add button.
- Now when you click the Protocol dropdown list, you’ll see Skype is included in the list.
- Just enter your Skype credentials and you’re all set!
Even though Skype needs to be running at the same time as Pidgin, this makes it easier to have all of your IM conversations in one client. Much easier than constantly switching between applications.