This guide explains how to make your PC beep when you hit the CAPS LOCK key, so that you have an audible alert.
It can be extremely annoying when you’re typing away, not looking at your screen, then realize it’s all in CAPS because you accidentally hit the Caps Lock key. Here’s how to make it beep when you hit the Caps Lock key so you have a warning.
- Click the Windows “Start” button and select Settings (the one that looks like a cog).
- Select the Ease of Access option.
- Click Keyboard in the Interaction column on the left side of the window.
- Locate the Use Toggle Keys section and toggle the ON/OFF switch to ON. Remove the check mark from the box labeled Allow the shortcut key to start Toggle Keys unless you want to hold down the Num Lock key for five seconds (this doesn’t make sense to me either).
- If you do opt to keep Allow the shortcut key to start Toggle Keys option enabled, you’ll see a message when you start it by holding down the Num Lock key.
- Now when you hit the CAPS LOCK key on your keyboard, you’ll be notified via a “beep” sound. That’s it!
Vista & Windows 7
- To make the Caps Lock key beep and alert you if it’s accidentally hit in Vista or Windows 7, click on Start >> Control Panel.
- In Control Panel set the view to show Large Icons, then click Ease of Access Center.
- When the Make your computer easier to use screen comes up, you might be surprised when the computer starts talking to you. If you want to turn that off, uncheck Always read this section aloud.
Then under the Explore all settings list click Make the keyboard easier to use
- Then in the next screen scroll down and check Turn on Toggle Keys – hear a tone when you press CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, or SCROLL LOCK. Then click OK and close out of Control Panel.
- Click on Start >> Control Panel.
- When Control Panel opens make sure you’re in Classic View and click on Accessibility Options.
- In the Accessibility Options window, make sure you’re under the Keyboard tab, then check Use ToggleKeys. Click OK then close out of Control Panel.
- That’s it! Now any time you hit the Caps Lock key you will hear it beep. This trick can be very helpful when you’re busy and accidentally hit Caps Lock.