The new user interface in Windows 7 elegant and smoother to navigate versus XP. However, there are tweaks you can do to make it even better. Here we’ll look at how to speed up the menus by tweaking the Registry.
This tutorial will show you how to make tweaks to the Registry in Windows. Before making any changes, it’s a best practice to back it up first.
1. Click on Start and type regedit into the Search box. At the top you’ll see regedit.exe, right-click on it and click Run as Administrator.
2. The Registry editor will open. In the left pane navigate to the following:
Then in the right panel scroll down to MenuShowDelay and double click on it.
3. You should see the default Value Data is set to 400. Change this to a smaller number or you can even go with zero if you want menus to come up instantly.
4. After setting the Value Data click OK.
5. Now when you look under the data column for MenuShowDelay is set to zero or whatever you set it to.
6. Close out of the Registry and click on the Start Menu – you should notice it opening up much faster than before.
That’s all there is to it! This is just a small way to help speed up the user experience on your Windows 7 system.