This brief tutorial will show you how to convert Microsoft Office .docx formatted files to the .doc format – without having to download any software, and for free.
- All you’ll need for this tutorial is a Google account (Gmail address) and the .docx file you want to change to a .doc file. Start out by heading over to Google Docs. Sign in with your Google Account if prompted.
- When Google Docs loads, click the Upload button and select the Files… entry from the menu.
- Navigate to the .docx file on your hard drive, select it and click Open.
- In the Upload settings pop-up, make sure there’s a check in the box labeled Convert documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and drawings to the corresponding Google Docs format. Click the Start upload button.
- When the upload has completed, close the Upload status box.
- Click your recently uploaded .docx file from the TITLE list to open it in Google Docs.
- With the file now open, select File from the main menu, Download as from the drop-down menu, and finally Word from the sub-menu.
- Your newly created .doc file will now download. Check your Downloads folder and it’ll be right there (unless you specified saving it to a different location).
- That’s it – you’ve converted your .docx file to an ‘old’ .doc file.