This step-by-step guide will show you how to send and respond to “DM’s” (short for Direct Messages) on Instagram.
Sending a DM on Instagram isn’t as intuitive as it should be (our opinion) – so don’t feel bad that you needed to Google this one :)
- To send your first DM on Instagram, take a photo as you normally would. You can apply all the same filters to “DM photos” as you can with all other Instagram posts. When you’re ready to send it directly to someone (or a group of people) – tap NEXT as usual.
- From the Share to menu towards the top of the screen, tap DIRECT (see #1 in screenshot below). Now tap inside the Write a caption… window, and type out your message (see #2 in screenshot below).
- When you’re done composing your message, tap OK.
- Now scroll through your list of Instagram contacts and tap the circle next to their name so that a green “check mark” appears. NOTE: you can select more than one recipient if you want to share a message or photo with a group of people.
When you’re ready to send the photo and message, tap SEND TO (NAME).
- When they open Instagram, they’ll be presented with a notification on the “mailbox” icon as illustrated in the screenshot below.
- Upon tapping that mailbox, they’ll see that a new message as been sent from you.
- When they tap the message, it’s presented to them in the format illustrated below.
- From here they can respond to your message.
- If/when they do, you will have a notification icon in your mailbox.
- The “blue bubble” (see screenshot) illustrates that the photo has been commented on (and how long ago)
- When you tap the ‘response’ in your mailbox, you’ll be be able to view their response, and carry on the ‘conversation’ if you’d like.
- That’s it!