How to play NES (Nintendo) Games on your Windows Mobile Smartphone

This tutorial will show you how to install and setup Pocket Nester Plus, a NES emulator for your Windows Mobile Smartphone.

super mario brothers on a windows mobile smartphone

1. Yes you’ll want some ROM files (games) to actually play. Download a slew of them as a 40MB .cab file here, or the “50 Classics” as a 10MB .cab file here, or as individual games here.
  2. Now you’ll need to download Pocket Nester Plus. Transfer the file to your phone and select it. Click Install to begin the installation.
  3. installing pocket nester plus

4. Once completed, click Done. Don’t worry too much if you get an error about the software being developed for a previous version of Windows Mobile. It should work anyway (it did for me, using WM 6.0).
  5. pocket nester plus installed

6. Now launch Pocket Nester Plus from your Applications list. You’ll probably find it in the Games section.
  7. pocket nester plus

8. Click File and then Open ROM…
  9. the pocket nester plus file menu

10. Navigate to a ROM (.nes) file, select it and click Done.
  11. selecting a rom in pocket nester plus

12. Before you start playing, there are a few things you might want to change/customize. Open the Options menu (which I was able to do by hitting the Z key on my phones QWERTY keyboard, but it may vary based on phone). Select Preferences from the Options menu.
  13. the options menu in pocket nester plus

14. Place a check in the box labeled Associated .NES files. This will allow you to just click on a .nes (ROM) file and Pocket Nester Pro will launch and load that game.
  15. pocket nester plus preferences

16. Again select the Options menu, this time select Controllers… Highlight and then click the button next to A:. Now select the key on your phones keyboard that you want to use as the Nintendo controllers “A” button. Repeat this process to customize each button.
  17. setting the controller options in pocket nester plus

18. And let the games begin!
  19. playing super mario brothers on a smartphone

• Sam July 2, 2008, 7:04 am

Very nice… but I think offering the ROMs up like that is highly illegal. I believe your in Canada so I’m not sure if the law is different there. But anyway nice find.

• Mark July 2, 2008, 9:55 pm

Not able to get this working on my o2 atom life (windows 6.1). May be it wont work with qvga screen?. It quits the program as soon as i open any nes file.

• Sam July 3, 2008, 10:23 am

It works fine on my htc ppc-6800 which is a qvga screen also. I’m useing windows moble 6 so there might be some problem with this program and wm 6.1 I’m not sure.

• Mark July 3, 2008, 2:49 pm

after a soft reset, the program is not crashing, but throws error when i try to open a nes file. Error is:

Can not open or Mappter not support

• Mark July 3, 2008, 4:07 pm

after google, if i set the Options -> Display -> Landscape Left, it works. Thanks. Now need to figure it out how to play with limited buttons (no keyboard on my model), thx

• diego July 4, 2008, 6:43 am

no puedo configurar los controles en mi motorola q los juego funcionan y todo pero no los puedo configurar un abrazo

• chris July 16, 2008, 9:05 am

i have the HTC Touch is this still capable on my phone ?

• yonay July 21, 2008, 6:04 pm

pana dame la opcion para descargar los juegos o ayudame a afiliarme

• scarecro July 29, 2008, 8:25 am

I have a HTC touch when I run the rom it goes right back to home screen and will not play. Any suggestions?

• scarecro July 29, 2008, 8:42 am

I got the game to work… by changing the way they come up on display.. but now I am haveing trouble setting contolles for the games.. I have A HTC Touch

• Wallace September 3, 2008, 6:55 am

I also got the game to work but everytime I exit the game and go back in, I lose all of my controller settings and preferences. I have the HTC touch as well.

• JR September 27, 2008, 7:43 pm

This is so Cool! It works on ipaq voice messenger.

• jacob October 1, 2008, 6:50 am

I have a blackjack ll, and when i save the file to my desktop, and then transfer it to my phone, when i go into my phone and try to see file in folder i created, nothing is there, then if i do a search, i see file but it does not let me download, i dont have that option… any help pleeasseeee!!

• john quenzer October 5, 2008, 12:27 pm

it all goes on my phone but it will not load any games it acts like it the game will load but then nothing at all

• John C. October 21, 2008, 10:11 am

It worked amazingly well on my Motorola Q. No problems what so ever even though the games are actually harder to play on Windows Mobile rather than on the actual Nintendo. The sound and picture quality is unbeleiveably good. And it did not freeze at any point.

• juan October 24, 2008, 7:09 am

i did every thing like you said but it says cannot open or mappter not supported now what i can i do please help

• robert October 29, 2008, 7:48 pm

I’ve got a problem. Installed this on my motorola q but it displays side ways and I cant find any option to rotate it correctly. Also, some of the games wont let me exit them! Please help.

• robert October 29, 2008, 7:59 pm

also, its not reading the buttons that I input to use.

• 6erardo November 22, 2008, 9:47 am

Nice emulator its work perfect on my MotoQ9H Thankssss!

• carolina December 13, 2008, 7:29 am

muchas gracias era lo que queria. gracias

• Jeudy December 26, 2008, 6:10 pm

I have an iPhone clone (M88+) which is touch screen. The emulator works, I can open the ROMs but, I can’t play since my phone doesn’t have keys. How are the rest of users with touch screen phones doing? Is there another version (or even another emulator) that works with touch screen?

Any help is appreciated!

• SERES December 29, 2008, 11:03 am

TENGO RPOBLEMAS CON EL NESTER EMULADOR LA PANTALLA NO SE VE BIEN ME LO MUESTRA HORIZONTALMENTE EL JUEGO HACIA LA IZQUIERDA, QUE DEBO HACER PARA Q EL JUEO SE VEA BIEN YA Q SIEMPRE TENGO Q VOLTEAR MI MOTOROLA Q ACOSTADO PARA JUGAR INCOMAODAMENTE

• Tristen Johnson January 2, 2009, 5:20 pm

hey, i have moto!
    everything looks great and all, but theres one thing.
    my games are playing side ways and when i go to opitions to change evrything it want
    play as what i save my custom options as….
    help me bro-ham

• DaddyRatkay January 4, 2009, 1:08 pm

Hey everything working fine for me but I only got the 6 games does anyone know a website so I can get contra and other old school games??

• Tzohar January 13, 2009, 3:55 pm

Esta de h… genial la neta me trajo muy buenos recuerdos. Espero esta ves si ganarle a mi hermano. Muchas Gracias!

• Edgar Fernanz January 31, 2009, 3:21 pm

Thaks a lot for this great application all of those who made this possible. If somebody needs helps to set up the controls I ‘ll be happy to help. Just E-mail me. si necesitan ayuda solamente envienme un e-mail. gracias.

• orlandoa16 March 25, 2009, 2:49 pm

funciono de maravilla espero que suban mas emuladores, lo unico dificil, fue configurar as teclas, pero luego de intentar lo logre, muchas gracias.

• KEJA April 20, 2009, 12:53 am

On Moto Q …. Display option of emulator won’t allow either Landscape radio buttons to be selected. Uses Portrait only! Any suggestions guys ? Thanks

• Jp May 6, 2009, 2:24 pm

On “Display” Landscape left & Landscape Right seems to be disabled… Just Portrait is enabled… Any suggestions?

• SiggeLund June 25, 2009, 8:30 pm

Fungerar dåligt på XPerian. Spelbilden ligger hoptryckt i ena hörnet av skärmen och hackar våldsamt. Man kan inte spela mer än några sekunder utan krasch. Pausar man emuleringen så zoomas dock spelbilden in av någon märklig anledning.

• Brandon July 5, 2009, 10:23 am

People!! On Moto Q yes it does display sideways at first. To change, go to Display. When you get the cursor on Portrait, hit right on the “D” pad that will set it to Landscape left which is what you need, then hit ok. Also keep in mind its set up by default to play in portrait, so when you set up the controlls, assign the right “D” pad button to “UP”. To understand what I mean turn the Q like you would have been playing in portrait mode and thats how the buttons are set up. So when you reassign them… Up to right D pad, right would be down D pad, down would be left D pad and left would be up D pad. To exit hold down the voice command or speakerphone button. Theres also an exit option if you hit the menu button. Im having trouble with the volume being too loud. I can hold down the thumb wheel and it cuts the volume in half. anybody have suggestions cuz i hate playing with the volume off

• Ewerton July 10, 2009, 12:52 pm

Parabéns ao site rodou perfeitamente no meu HTC S711 fico muito grato !

Obrigado !

• William Tizzo July 11, 2009, 3:50 pm

Não Consigo Fazer O downloads do Roms???
    Porque???

• William Tizzo July 11, 2009, 6:19 pm

Consegui estalar, Mas gostaria de saber se tem como mudar a posição da tela para jogar ???

• jose sarmiento July 15, 2009, 1:08 pm

ya instale juegos ufffffffff una barbaridad los que quice pues y le cambie las mascara ox leopar se ve super me pase un dia entero ya que en el tutorial no colocan el paso que hay que entrar en el explorador del telefono buscar luego dispositivo/application data luego home y hay es que vas a ejecutar la intalacion de os x leopard bueno no se sera que todo sabian que tenian que hacer eso y yo no sabia bueno todo fino voy a seguir poniendo mi cel super cool que no le envidie nada a un blackberry o por lo menos no tanto saludo mi correo para quien quiera preguntar algo que no se mucho pero bueno joseangel30004@hotmail.com

• alejo July 15, 2009, 7:44 pm

ta bueno

• clint cartee August 4, 2009, 8:38 pm

I cant get this to run on my vx6700, i did everything, have it all on there, and when i hit open rom and done it goes to a screen where half of the phone is blank and it simply goes back to the home screen, anyone have any suggestions
    ./;

• clint cartee August 4, 2009, 8:38 pm

please someone tell me how to get it to work on 6700?

• ernesto August 14, 2009, 11:02 am

hola oie esta muy bueno :P a mi me funciona muy bien en mi pantech c810 gracias quisiera otros emuladores como el play o otro que se puedan instalar gracias

• Mason August 31, 2009, 7:21 pm

can someone help me i have a samsung jack and it say insatllation was unsuccsesful because i dont sufficent system permissions??

• JAIME September 16, 2009, 7:27 am

FUNCIONA EXCELENTE EN MI SMARPHONE SGH I607 COM WM5 , NO TUVE NUNGUN PROBLEMA

• Rafael October 21, 2009, 9:13 am

Tremendo!!!!
    Funciona divinamente en el SGH 326I Samsung.
    Gracias

• alain November 28, 2009, 10:23 pm

donde consigo los juegos rom plis i need some help

• ahmed December 22, 2009, 7:53 am

je vous jouer

• Paul January 8, 2010, 4:09 pm

Is there a way to program or sync the wii remote wth this emulator?? I had an emulator on my palm os on my old phone that was able to sync with a wii remote. it worked like a dream.

• Will January 15, 2010, 2:27 pm

I’m trying to use this game on a touch pro 2. When I open the file, everything works but the display is out of whack, It’s a 1/4 the size of my screen, and blinks like a strobe light. It only enlarges when I tap the screen but that just pauses it.

• victor narvaez January 19, 2010, 3:19 pm

muchisisisismas gracias parce un megaposs te felicito y nuevamente gracias

• eduardo January 31, 2010, 8:56 am

deu erro find tgetfile.dell. como resolver obrigado

• daniel mendoza January 31, 2010, 4:16 pm

oye no puedo descargar los rooms donde los puedo encontrar creo q ya no estan alguien q pueda mandarmelos a mi correo pliss porfa amigos

• daniel mendoza January 31, 2010, 4:19 pm

soy daniel dejenme sus roms en mi mail porfa chavos

• Ruben March 1, 2010, 3:55 pm

i have a samsung code…cant get it to work

• angelo May 5, 2010, 4:51 pm

no puedo configurar la pantalla, me aparece en forma horizontal y no puedo manipular la opcion para ponerlo en vertical

• edvaldo July 25, 2010, 12:41 am