How to Stop Facebook From “Beeping”

Recently Facebook decided that in addition to visual notifications, it would start making a “beeping sound” when you receive a new notification. This brief tutorial will show you how to disable that annoying beep.

Note: this “feature” hasn’t been rolled out across all of Facebook yet, so your account may not be affected (yet).

1. Click the ‘Settings’ button in the upper-right corner of your Facebook page and then select Account Settings from the menu.
  2. Select Notifications from the left column.
  3. Click the link titled view from the On Facebook row.
  4. Remove the check-mark from the Play a sound when each new notification is received box and then click the Save Changes button.
  5. That’s it, no more beeping from Facebook!
  • Alice Davis Evans February 28, 2013, 12:55 pm

How do I keep every POKE from showing up in my email….w/o losing the other email I want from my close friends.

• Pen Quin March 3, 2013, 12:13 am

I get the beep but get as far as Facebook/view and then I have no box to untick sound :(

• debdebnyc36 March 4, 2013, 11:13 am

how can i protect my facebook photos from my friends DOWNLOADING myphotos…? I know how to limit who can view ,and hence share my photos… but do not know how to prevent people from downloading my photos…? thank you

• Michael Bugeja May 22, 2013, 6:17 am

I unticked the box and it worked fine for a while, but now, even with
    the box still unticked, I’m still getting notification sounds…

• Kevin July 8, 2013, 1:52 pm

Thanks!

• Andrew Stephens July 15, 2013, 8:41 pm

Click the gear on the bottom of your Chat Book (right of screen), you will see a check mark beside “Chat Notifications”. Uncheck it.

• Ross McKillop July 15, 2013, 9:00 pm

Andrew Stephens – yeah, Facebook has made a couple of changes since this tutorial was first published (though I’ve confirmed these steps are still accurate, though not the ‘fastest’ way possible. Currently the little “Cog” button on the “Facebook Chat’ list on facebook.com itself has a quick ‘play sounds’ you can enable/disable with just two clicks.

• Carlos Danger August 25, 2013, 5:14 pm

You cannot prevent people from downloading (via right click) or even from doing a printscreen then opening up ms paint and cropping and saving the picture. Well this leads me to a new revelation and that is that you can actually prevent people from downloading your photos online and that is by, NOT POSTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

• Brian Goodman November 19, 2013, 11:33 pm

well when my window of fb is min. and im on my other window i still hear the ding when i get a message or if im in a convo with someone

• Brian Goodman November 19, 2013, 11:34 pm

so that notification thing dont work if the FB window is min.?

• Cardi Chievo January 22, 2014, 4:34 am

How can i silence notification on the Android FB app ?

• Michel Estopinan June 10, 2014, 1:35 pm

I did that and keep sounding, I even closed everything and restarted my computer and it still makes the sound. I checked and the sound is unchecked on notifications as explained here. Any suggestion?

• Allyda Tay December 29, 2014, 11:32 pm

The recent updates has made all interactions with sound i.e when clicking the ‘LIKE’ button, posting comments etc. The sound is so damn annoying. Does anyone knows how I can shut that annoying sounds. Kindly revert. Thank youツ

• Monica January 14, 2015, 12:56 pm

Same thing but go to app settings instead and firm sounds off

• Edlyn December 7, 2018, 5:23 pm

This hack doesn’t work in the Philippines. No mute option for us. I’m so annoyed I uninstalled the app, and now just open fb in the browser. But when I have it open in the browser it’s still making that bleeping sound ugh!